Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Supervisor Material


Once known as the Delta Center, Energy Solutions Arena is known to all Jazz basketball fans. Whether your catching a basketball game, a concert, or Disney on Ice it seems that the Arena is always prepared thanks to its many employees.


The other day I spoke with Stephen Stahl the warehouse lead in the Arena. When discussing tattoos and piercings he informed me that a year ago the warehouse supervisor, Zach, had several piercings approximately twelve. Because Zach had no visible tattoos, when I asked Stephen what the company's stance on the piercings were he stated that, "They just cant be outrageous. Tattoos and piercings are allowed in our department as long as they are decent looking." This intrigued me a little, how and who deems something "decent looking." Apparently HR is responsible for that decision. To which I believe is unjust, "decent looking" to one person is completely different than "decent looking" to another.


When discussing the case of peoples perceptions of the employees I asked if Stephen believes they effect the work environment at all. His response was, "Some people show fascination because of them (tattoos/ piercings) and others look down upon them...I've heard people say things." As a final question I simply asked what he thought of them. "I think tats can be really cool, but they are better when there is a story with it. If not then it seems pointless to me."

In all it seems as if EnergySolutions Arena is accepting of body art but only if it is rarely seen to the public eye. There are a few things here that bother me and one is the fact that some HR person is in charge of if things are "decent looking" all I can say is that there better be a handbook with pictures and everything of what is deemed "decent." That also brings to mind the question though, of where to draw the line. This is a question that all companies face and will continue to face with our ever expanding body art and the fact that it is becoming more acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment