Thursday, November 12, 2009

The tattoo that almost was...

I have no ink on my body, but there have several occasions where I have come close. The first time was in high school. I had it all planned out. I had the design I wanted and the placement picked. I even went as far as to spend a weekend airbrushing one idea on my body. It was cool, but just for a weekend. It was fun playing dress up for a couple of days, but it also gave me time to think about the long-term commitment that a tattoo represents. Looking back on what I had planned makes me grateful that I took the time to think about it. It was trendy and meaningless and would have been something that I would regret. I was trying to fit in by doing something that would make me stick out.

More recently I have had another encounter with the possible tattoo. I come from a family of six brothers. We wanted to do something to permanently link us together as brothers . We planned to have a "C" monogramed on our backs- the initial for our last name. Nothing inappropriate and it could be easily hidden. We got close, but without the commitment of all brothers there was no reason follow through. One of us married and then became conservative, so the brotherly tattooing never happened. I don't know if I would have regretted that mark. It represented something very personal and important to me, something that would have been relevant for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment